[Development] Recommendations for 3rd-party QCH file installation folder for easy discovery?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 2 02:53:11 CET 2016

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> As it seems that Qt Assistant automatically adds (after restart) new QCH
> files it discovers in the QT_INSTALL_DOCS folder to the default help file
> collection, simply installing any 3rd-party QCH files into that folder
> would serve the use-case of automatic addition to Qt Assistant after
> install. And thus this is what I propose now as well to do. After all
> installing into the Qt system dirs is also done already for 3rd-party
> plugins, mkspec files or QML imports.

As a distro packager, I think this is definitely the way to go. Tracking
what package any individual file comes from is what the package manager is
for. This is also how it works for manpages, .desktop files, etc.

> And seeing that KDE uses /usr/share/doc/HTML for documentation in html/
> docbook(?) format I am for now proposing
> /usr/share/doc/QCH
> as folder where packages would drop the QCH/qthelp system specific files,

Why would we need to invent yet another directory? QT_INSTALL_DOCS in Fedora
is currently /usr/share/doc/qt5, I think that is perfectly fine. It is also
versioned, so you do not get, e.g., kdelibs4 apidocs in the Qt 5 Assistant,
or the other way round.

I think you should just use the existing QT_INSTALL_DOCS directory and stick
to it, no need to reinvent the wheel and break compatibility.

        Kevin Kofler