[Development] A new approach for Qt main()

Morten Sorvig Morten.Sorvig at qt.io
Fri Dec 9 10:35:04 CET 2016

Hi,

We should consider changing the way Qt initialization and startup works.
This is something I’ve personally been wanting to do for some time, and
a recent offline discussion pushed it on my stack again.

Currently, Qt and application startup looks something like this:

  int main(int argc, char **argv)
  {
      QApplication app(argc, argv);

      // Create root user objects/windows here

      return app.exec();
  }

This is fine for the application but cause problems for the Qt platform
implementation, which include:

* The main entry point may be named something else than main()

* The main entry point may be a callback which must be returned from

* The platform/Qt/application initialization order is incorrect

These have all been worked around in Qt platform code, for example by running
Qt on a separate thread, using setjmp/longjmp to simulate a stack, or by
temporarily setting up the native event loop before app.exec() is called.

We can continue with the workarounds, but they lead to complications in Qt
platform code and are also an extra hurdle for implementing support for new
platforms, so from the Qt platform development point of view it is desirable
with a cleanup.

This would be an “all applications should/must port” event, not to be taken
lightly. I think the porting would be trivial in many (if not most) cases,
but some apps have special requirements for QApplication object management
or main thread ownership. This includes our own QTestLib.

As a starting point for a concrete API discussion I’ll briefly describe the
solution I implemented for the NaCl port. The user API here is a macro which
takes application init and exit callback functions:

  Q_GUI_MAIN(appInit, appExit);

The use of a macro allows Qt to inject a main() call with native platform
initialization code into the application, if needed. The init and exit
functions are callbacks (which must return) and the root user objects
must be created on the heap. The QApplication object is managed by Qt
and has been created by the time appInit is called. The type of QApplication
is decided by the macro, where there are CORE and WIDGETS variants as well.

- Morten