[Development] Tagging private symbols as such

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 03:23:50 CET 2016

On jueves, 8 de diciembre de 2016 02:02:36 ART Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> > I also dislike this change. As Lisandro says, we do not want it in Debian
> > (because we keep track of versions ourselves in the symbols file, and when
> > the versions are in the symbols themselves they are just useless noise for
> > us). And as you say, you do not want distributions Qt builds to be ABI
> > incompatible with upstream (we also would like to avoid that), so if this
> > patch gets applied upstream, we will be in a bad situation.
> >
> > I wonder what was the reason for OpenSUSE to have this change — I could
> > not find a relevant changelog entry. Why cannot they just rebuild all
> > packages using private headers for every Qt release, like we do?
>
> See my replies: RPM tracks symbol versions, but not the actual names, e.g.,
[snip]

Thanks for clarifying the issue, this was neither inmediately clear to me.

> The difference in implementation compared to the Qt_5.x symbol versions
> would be that the private symbols would of course NOT provide the older
> symbol versions, only the latest one, making it effectively an = dependency
> rather than a >= one.

Right.

> RPM explicitly does NOT track individual symbols as Debian tooling
> apparently does.

And once again, right (although we can later force the last version to be the
final one). And this is exactly where our tooling would make our lives not
easy if the above gets implemented.

So, as I've said before, there is a valid use case for this, although if
implemented we might need to avoid it for some time, hopefully not too long.

Thiago: should I push to gerrit the complete patch as it is or just the QPA
stuff on one patch and the private symbols versioning on another? And to what
branch exactly?

--
2: Windows con las funciones que realiza se clasifica como:
    * Un bug

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/