[Development] HEADS UP: OSX build requirements for 5.7

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Feb 10 19:31:43 CET 2016

On quinta-feira, 11 de fevereiro de 2016 02:02:27 PST Tim Blechmann wrote:
> we have seen funny toolchain bugs, with 10.10 sdk and 10.8 deployment
> target on 10.8, where std::exceptions could not be caught ... compiling
> against 10.8 sdk solved that issue.

Regardless of whether that is a valid approach or not, the fact that people
are doing that poses a problem for us. If we write code against the latest
toolchain, it may not compile against older ones people might be using.

That can be because we used new features that aren't present in older ones,
even if properly runtime checked.

Another problem is that the compilers in the old toolchains are older, with
older libc++ and with bugs that we aren't testing for.

If we're going to upgrade our Xcode in all our builds, I would advise we also
make it mandatory for everyone else too. Check during configure against the
minimum SDK version, that being the *current* at the time of release.