[Development] Extending touch semantic information and Qt backends

Ariel Molina ariel at edis.mx
Thu Feb 11 02:13:45 CET 2016

Hi,

Research is strong on natural user interfaces, and now market is stronger
than ever and growing. I was working on the TUIO QPA and found a couple of
bugs, which I already pushed patches [1] [2] which I hope make it to 5.6.x.

OTOH, to further enhance touch interfaces I want to bring the discussion
about multiple touch layers, person-tagged touches, identified touches with
area&rotation information and objects with unique marker identification.

- Multiple touch devs/layers and Person tagged touches. Can be easily added
by extending QWindowSystemInterface::TouchPoint with a device
identification, like device(). This will also work for TUIO.
- Area & rotation. There is TouchPoint::area() and ::pressure() but
currently there is no support for ::angle(). Angle can be zero when not
supported.
- Unique identification. On research and advanced interactive surfaces the
usage of "markers" [3] is quite common. This is just a code extracted
either visually or by other mechanisms which is passed along the touch
information. I conjunction with area, rotation and uuid this paves the way
for very rich interaction.

I would like to know your thoughts about this topics, specially to know if
it would be acceptable for me to submit patches enhancing those areas (and
to whom add for review). I'd love to see marker uuid and angle() support at
least.

Ariel
EDIS Interactive
(desert on IRC)