[Development] Decimal arithmetic classes proposal

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 20 19:11:36 CET 2016

On sábado, 20 de fevereiro de 2016 12:03:24 PST Sviatoslav Feshchenko wrote:
> I would like to propose to develop classes for inclusion in the Qt library
> to support general decimal arithmetic. Such classes would be useful for
> financial and other applications requiring accurate decimal arithmetic. The
> intent is to develop the classes as a wrapper around the existing decNumber
> C library which is a reference implementation of the standards applicable
> to decimal arithmetic (IEEE 754). More details about the library can be
> found here: http://speleotrove.com/decimal/

Hello Sviatoslav

How is this different from <decimal/decimal> from the Decimal TR? It's
implemented in libstdc++.

See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3407.html.

> Please advise if such classes would be of value to Qt and if I should spend
> the time developing them.

I'm not sure it should be in Qt. It might be more useful to make an
independent library that works with other compilers besides GCC until C++17
comes along.