[Development] Supported platforms for Qt 5.8

Andreas Holzammer andreas.holzammer at kdab.com
Tue Feb 23 19:16:48 CET 2016

Am 22.02.2016 um 23:52 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> On segunda-feira, 22 de fevereiro de 2016 21:08:12 PST Knoll Lars wrote:
>> I can see the reasoning here, just as well as I see the reasoning of the
>> people that would like to get rid of VS2012 as quickly as possible.
>
> Why do we need to get rid of it? What are the problems with it, aside from
> lack of certain C++11 support?

Mostly yes we see a demand in getting new c++ features into Qt. As far
as my knowlege goes is that WEC2013 bundles they compiler with the SDK
which is produced by the Platform Builder. As of now I did not see any
indication that this bundled compiler will be updated(right now they
bundle the VS2012 compiler). All websites which I did read say if you
read closely that they are supporting the new Visual Studio IDE, but
will take the toolchain of the SDK which is provided.

Basically it means we are stuck with Visual Studio 2012 c++ featureset
for Windows Embedded Compact 2013.

If we want to support newer C++ with Qt 5.8 we would need to drop the
complete platform.

As of problems to support it in newer Qt Versions, I can say the market
share right now is not very big, as also already indicated by someone
else. Hardware vendors do release right now more experimental support
for WEC2013, which means there might be years until they reach a decent
market share.

Thank you

Andy

--
Andreas Holzammer | andreas.holzammer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090