[Development] Qt 5.6 LTS - who defines criteria what gets "bug fixed"

Welbourne Edward edward.welbourne at theqtcompany.com
Thu Feb 25 10:33:04 CET 2016

On quarta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2016 22:38:56 PST Michael Möllney wrote:
>> - Is there or should there be a Wiki-Page giving rules of thump, what
>>   inconsistent between API docs and actual behavior is a bug that
>>   should be fixed in 5.6 LTS?

(I like the concept of a "rule of thump", but it would mean something
different than the usual English idiom to which Thiago revised it.)

Thiago Macieira replied (inter alia):

> However, a wiki page giving rules of thumb of what may be acceptable
> and what may not is a very good idea.

I'd also be glad of such a page - I get to do bug triage (setting
priority on newly submitted bugs) some sporadic weeks and would be glad
of some guidance on what kinds of bug deserve what priority.  As an
illustration: when I use Debian's reportbug facility, it asks me about
the severity (roughly corresponding to priority) of the issue and
explains carefully (see [0]) what the Debian project's criteria are for
each severity level.

[0] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

Having some similar explanation for the priorities we use would give
some clarity and likely improve consistency among triagers.  It'll
surely retain some subjective element, but guidelines would give me more
confidence that my evaluation is in line with consensus.  Submitters
might also get more of a sense of their reports being evaluated justly.

Decisions about what should be considered for LTS are at least kindred
to those for priority and it would make sense to document them together,

	Eddy.