[Development] Units in QML

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 25 12:49:01 CET 2016

On 25/02/2016 13:20, Welbourne Edward wrote:
> André Somers used m* for minutes and metres, footnoting:
>> )* Note the first clash already...
>
> I think it is fairly sane to just insist that SI units take precedence,
> especially given that we support multi-letter unit names (e.g. pt, px,
> mm, cm), so min will do fine for minutes.

I find this attention to physical units a bit improper. Sure, some
drawing applications or text editors should be enabled to draw UI
following specific physical dimensions (like, for example, for the ruler
bars), but I think it's more of an isolated case than the norm.

Most UIs won't set a button's height to 1 cm (or any other physical
size), because while such a size might be OK for a desktop + mouse
system, it would be definitely be too small for a UI in running a
television set and too big for a UI running on a smartwatch.

Ciao,
  Alberto