[Development] Dropping VS 2012 in Qt 5.7

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Feb 25 17:20:45 CET 2016

Just starting a new thread to get the attention of those that may have missed
it in the other platform.

The proposal is to drop VS 2012 support in Qt 5.7 already, instead of
supporting it in 5.7 only and dropping in 5.8.

The rationale is that we need VS2012 for WEC 2013 support, but there's no
point in supporting that operating system in Qt 5.7. It suffices that it is
supported in Qt 5.6, which is the long-term release. In other words, needing
WEC 2013 customers are better served by staying in Qt 5.6 than upgrading to
5.7.

Opinions? Objections?

I'd like to see this answered BEFORE we release 5.6 so we can add this
interesting tidbit to the changelog. The 5.5.0 changelog said:

 - Qt 5.7 will begin requiring certain C++11 features in order to
   compile. The minimum compiler versions for that release will be:
   * Clang 3.2 (included in XCode 5.0)
   * GCC 4.7
   * Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 SP1 (compiler version 14.0)
   * Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (compiler version 17.0)

Since that went out, we've already risen our minimum Clang required version to
3.4.