[Development] Auto-assignment in JIRA

Jędrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at theqtcompany.com
Fri Feb 26 08:40:57 CET 2016

On Friday 26 of February 2016 00:16:35 Shaw Andy wrote:
> I was creating another bug report earlier today in JIRA and I noticed that
> it was assigning to someone who didn't seem to be right for the component
> at all since I don't believe they are the maintainer for it and I recalled
> that this is not the first time I've noticed that the auto-assigner is
> clearly incorrect and therefore it could end up in some sort of limbo.
>
> I know that anyone can pick up a bug report not actively being worked on so
> it doesn't have much meaning in that regard, but is there an actual benefit
> to having the auto-assigner set? Are the maintainers actively utilizing
> this or would it be best that all new bugs are unassigned by default and
> then someone picks them up when they are going to actively work on it?
>
> I don't have an agenda (aside from the auto-assignment being correct if this
> is the work flow we want) either way on this but I am curious as to whether
> it is useful or not. Therefore if it is useful then we can at least clean
> it up a bit so it is assigning correctly (either to the maintainer or to
> unassigned).
>
> Andy

Hi,

 This was discussed few times already. As far I remember we concluded that it
is up to maintainer to decide how to handle incoming bugs. Some prefer auto
assignment to see what is going in and some prefer to see a dashboard and
reduce amount of noisy emails.

 Regarding invalid auto assignment, ping our JIRA admins, they will clean it
up.

Cheers,
 Jędrek