[Development] Qt WebKit dependency in Qt Assistant

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jan 6 20:01:39 CET 2016

That's the plan for the Qt SDK in 5.6 though: The doc team simplified the CSS somewhat so that QTextBrowser can handle it. While the rendered page is arguably not as polished as with a 'proper' HTML renderer, it's IMO good enough.

There has also been patches for using QtWebEngine as a backend, but this does not cover all platforms that we currently provide binaries for (e.g.  MinGW would be left out).

> This is really not funny:
> * you (= the Qt project) stop maintaining QtWebKit,
> * you deprecate it,
> * you stop providing even security updates for it,
> * and now you stop even shipping it at all, and yet you haven't even ported
> YOUR OWN code away from it! (And the QTextBrowser "solution" leaves A
> LOT to be desired.)

We'll provide source packages for qtwebkit as long as it's feasible.

Regards

Kai