[Development] RFC: QProcess variant or separate class for launching applications "GUI-style"

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 10:04:51 CET 2016

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Sounds like the problem is elsewhere. If QProcess is not working, then maybe
> the problem is how those processes expect parameters in the first place.

Who said anything about parameters? If you meant arguments then indeed, OS X
provides 2 ways to hand of arguments that correspond to documents (files) to
open. The standard argc,argv way and something that is a lot like DBus messages.
But that's not the point here.

> Right. You should open the bundle, not the executable inside it. That's not a
> problem of QProcess, you just ran the wrong thing.

It's a little bit more subtle than that, and if you look at qprocess_unix.cpp
you'll see a bit of code that does the opposite when it encounters an app
bundle.

But what you're basically saying is that if QProcess cannot do the job for us,
we just have to use something other than Qt?

R.