[Development] Minimum Deployment Platforms for 5.7 onwards?

Turunen Tuukka tuukka.turunen at theqtcompany.com
Fri Jan 8 08:18:54 CET 2016

Hi John,

This item was discussed at Qt Contributor’s Summit, please see session notes: http://wiki.qt.io/QtCS2015_LTS

For compilers this is also documented to the Qt Base change log: http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/dist/changes-5.5.1

For 5.6 the current list of supported platforms and compilers is the following: http://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.6.0-tools-and-versions (note that we are working to add OS X 10.11 to CI and fully support it)

The idea is that by making Qt 5.6 LTS, we gain more freedom to drop older (non-c++11) compilers as well as older platforms from Qt 5.7 and subsequent versions. Those who have such older platforms to support, are recommended to stay with the LTS version for a while. This approach allows us to move faster for new features planned for future Qt releases.

For application developers the documentation is often the best source to find the list of supported platforms: http://doc.qt.io/QtSupportedPlatforms/index.html This has not yet been updated to 5.6, but will be before the final release.

Yours,

                          Tuukka