[Development] RFC: QProcess variant or separate class for launching applications "GUI-style"

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:25:22 CET 2016

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On Friday 08 January 2016 10:52:14 René J. V. Bertin wrote:

> I think you meant something other than startDetached. You can't get
> notification signals from detached processes because they are detached. They
> are meant to outlive the current application. You can't get SIGCHLD for them.

That's true for signals that depend on that particular kind of parent/child
relationship. But there are more ways in which a process can detach from its
calling process, and undoubtedly more ways to get notification signals from a
process that doesn't have the current process as its ppid. On OS X this is as
simple as setting up an NSNotificationCenter and then comparing the pid of each
event of interest with that of the application(s) to monitor. The signal handler
(one per notification of interest) can be defined as as addition to the
NSWorkspace implementation, no need to subclass NSWorkspace for that.