[Development] New KDE Free Qt Foundation agreement and changes to Qt

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Thu Jan 14 08:49:35 CET 2016

> Hi everybody,
> The Qt Company has over the last days signed a new and updated agreement
> with the KDE Free Foundation. With this new agreement come some adjustments
> to the open source licensing of Qt. Basically LGPLv3 will in the future be
> our main license for frameworks, GPLv3 for the tooling.
> At the same time, The Qt Company committed to open source the currently
> commercial only parts of Qt for Application Development under the GPLv3 and
> make those available to the open source community.
> I have discussed this change with many of our Maintainers over the last
> week, getting a lot of positive feedback to this change.

With Qt 5.6 being LTS and 5.7 removing licenses from modules, is there
enough thunder in 6.0 to get people away from the cooosy 5.6 release? ;-) I
mean - judging solely on historical events, the .0s have needed some time
to stabilize and the big bang features typically don't show up in the very
latest minor releases.

Andreas