[Development] Question about QCoreApplicationData::*_libpaths

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Tue Jan 19 11:13:16 CET 2016

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016, Marc Mutz wrote:

>> I think we agree that std containers are in many cases faster than the Qt
>> containers. But they are harder to use and especially developers that come
>> from other languages often appreciate the ease of use of the Qt
>> containers.
>
> I always cringe when I hear this. What, specifically, do you mean by "easier to
> use"?
>
> No-one, not even experts understand QList, really. So it may appear to be easy
> to use, but is actually a container only absolute experst should use.

What kind of 'understanding' are you expecting? I'd say that every Qt
beginner, the biggest greenhorns, 'understand' absolutely enough to use
the class. And yes: that view might be incomplete and non-optimal in
regards to performance or in some extreme cases.

And anyone coming from a Java, JavaScript or whatever background easily
finds such Qt classes documented next to the others. And appreciates e.g.
a consistent API style. You may not personally like it but this individual
matter of tastes cannot be fully fulfilled in a project with that many
contributors and users.

Harri.