[Development] Question about QCoreApplicationData::*_libpaths

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Tue Jan 19 14:40:39 CET 2016

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 08:39:02 +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:

> The main question IMO is how we can bring these two worlds closer
> together for Qt 6 (or maybe even to some extent in Qt 5.x).

Why - ending up with an inconsistent and undecided API ?

To me the API design is the most valuable asset of the Qt classes. To
make it worse because of corner case performance consideration, or to
make some of your developers happy - sounds just wrong to me.

>From my point of view ( being an application developer ) the most
important thing is, that I can make APIs like:

- Vector<QPointF> interpolated( const Vector<QPointF> & )

because it leads to more readable code than:

- void interpolated( const Vector<QPointF> &in, Vector<QPointF> &out ).

Looking back on the Qt projects I've been working for over the years the
vast majority of use cases for QVector/QList are for lists below 100
elements, that are not changed often. Performance bottlenecks usually are
because of using the wrong type of container ( algorithm ) - not the
implementation of the container itself.

As long as someone finds examples in the Qt code itself, where a
migration from Qt containers to STL containers has a relevant effect, I
don't understand this discussion at all.

ciao,
Uwe