[Development] extending QtMacExtras?

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jan 20 15:43:13 CET 2016

> On 18 Jan 2016, at 11:02, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> One thing that's really missing from Qt at the moment is a way for an application that is not the foreground application to post a window in the foreground  (cf. also my thread on extending QProcess). To my knowledge this can only be done by forcing the application to the foreground using the same technique also used by the QCocoaIntegration ctor. Crude, but sometimes required.

I still don’t understand what the general-purpose API in Qt would do. Perhaps you
should just write a prototype implementation? Though I’m skeptical about adding a
complex solution for this issue to Qt. I don’t want to launch a background process.

> A variant could take a WId and activate the application owning the corresponding window or widget. I'm not sure to what extent that would be trivial or even possible to implement (Jake? Morten?). It would allow to simulate things that can currently be done (only?) on Unix/X11:

> 1) hand off a request from a foreground application ("A") to a background process or daemon ("D"), providing it a target WId

But if WIds can’t be used in cross-application contexts (which is true for Qt on OS X,
they are NSView pointers), then you can’t send them to a background process either. (?)

Regards,
Morten