[Development] QtWebEngine on x86 without SSE2

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 20 19:40:22 CET 2016

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> We made the same decision in Qt to not use X86 without SSE2 by default.

I know. Fedora builds Qt with -no-sse2, and portions where it is important
are built twice the same way I'm doing with V8 (e.g., QtDeclarative and
QtWebKit to take advantage of the V4 resp. JSCore JIT, which both require
SSE2).

> That it is linux only also doesn't bother me, SSE2 are already a hard
> requirements for the OSX and Windows platforms we support. This is really
> only an issue for Linux distros that have outdated minimum requirements.
>
> Of course it might be might be easier to keep it as a distro patch only
> since it looks like an original chromium patch ported to qtwebengine.

Yes, to be honest, I don't expect you to carry this in Qt. It touches mostly
Chromium code, where you are trying to keep the delta minimal. (But if
you're willing to do so, I can submit it in the appropriate way.) I
developed my patch for QtWebEngine specifically, but about half of it is a
cumulative revert of upstream Chromium patches, and most of it can be reused
for Chromium packages. (Obviously, the changes to .pro/.pri files are
QtWebEngine-specific.)

        Kevin Kofler