[Development] What kind of airplane we want to build?

Bubke Marco Marco.Bubke at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jan 20 21:36:10 CET 2016

On January 20, 2016 21:08:50 Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Bo Thorsen <bo at vikingsoft.eu<mailto:bo at vikingsoft.eu>> wrote:
>

> Why do you think people hate C++? I love C++ but I hate the string classes. I like some part of the std containers, I don't like their API.

I really think professional developers are not driven by their emotions but by reason and arguments. I think as a productive developer you should always train your ability to get in a new context.

> Spot on.
>
> People run scared from Boost-like C++. That kind of code is very performant but it's neither easy to write, understand or, in many cases, figure out.

Yes but with const expressions and concepts the code gets  readable again.

> On the other hand, Qt is usually love at first sight. Makes C++ look doable. Even easy. Sure, some people who have spent a lot of time writing C++ move on from Qt and like Boost-like code the better but that kind of code, those APIs, are to blame for the very bad opinion many people have on C++. They hurt C++ jobs.

It really depends, not everything in boost its bad. The futures are nice. And the big problem are templates but concept should make templates easier to program.

> Replacing QThread with std::thread? Please don't.

I think it is more a question of maintenance. I prefer std::tread because it is quite simple.

--
Sent from cellphone, sorry for the typos