[Development] Question about QCoreApplicationData::*_libpaths

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Jan 22 00:59:12 CET 2016

On Thursday 21 January 2016 22:44:02 Andre Somers wrote:
> On 21-1-2016 21:09, Milian Wolff wrote:

> >> I generally don't care. If I can't copy anymore due to running out of
> >> memory, I'm pretty much done anyway. No reliable way to recover from
> >> that. Might as well terminate the program.
> >
> > Right, _you_ don't care. But as a library one cannot usually make such
> > claims. People may want to use it in conditions where they _do_ care,
> > and for good reason. It would be a shame if C++ would not be applicable
> > for such scenarios just because some people didn't care enough.
>
> So, please, enlighten me. What would be a realistic way to recover from
> such an exception?

Take a server as an example. All it needs to do is return an error code to the
client. It can prepare such an error before attempting the operation, so it
will be able to produce the error message even in the case of bad_alloc.

But the discussions about move ctors that throw aren't even about bad_alloc.
They are about assertion exceptions.

Kleopatra (KDEPIM), e.g., uses exception for assertions, precisely to be able
to communicate a proper error code back to the client (Kleopatra is also a UI
server). It doesn't even matter whether the program then continues to run or
simply restarts itself. The important bit is to return that error code (and
cancel any begun transactions) and not just drop out of the connection.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt Experts