[Development] Question about QCoreApplicationData::*_libpaths

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Jan 22 10:46:24 CET 2016

On Friday 22 January 2016 01:13:06 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > I don't like QList because only experts can tell which guarantees it
> > provides for any given type (can I keep references into the container
> > across appends?).
>
> Simply assume that you can't.

[...]

Judging from the comments on my blog post from 2010(!), when they hear QList
people first think std::list (ie. linked list). Then they see that there's also
a QLinkedList and start thinking that QList is something like std::deque. And
then, if they are lucky, they realise it isn't that, either. Because both of
those std containers guarantee stability of references under appends, as does
QList _by default_.

> Everything else is a blatant API abuse.

Tell that to the authors of QToolBox and QDataWidgetMapper (off the top of my
head). Better yet: put code where your mouth is and fix that blatant API abuse.
I'll be more than happy to give you a +2 on that one.

> undeprecate QtAlgorithms

And this is where I stop taking you seriously, sorry. You can demand such
nonsense, but if you do, _do_ the work yourself. Go. Implement those 80+
algorithms from the STL for Qt. Or play god deciding which are the ones "no-
one will ever need" or "should never use" - IYHO.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt Experts