[Development] What kind of airplane we want to build?

Hausmann Simon Simon.Hausmann at theqtcompany.com
Fri Jan 22 09:52:29 CET 2016

Hi,

I think answering the question about the kind of airplane to build is closely tied to another question that may be worthwhile
asking. I think it's worthwhile because I'm convinced that answers diverge greatly depending on who you ask.

    Why are we trying to build an airplane?

Or differently put: What is our mission?

Is our mission to transport people from A to B? Is the mission to transport goods from A to B? Is our mission to get people from
A to B in the quickest way? Or is it about safety? The answer greatly influences the type of airplane to build (in the event that
the airplane is the right method of transportation).

I'm of the opinion that our mission should be to make life easier for programmers.

That includes also novice programmers and especially people who's first language is not English.

Who else agrees with me?

Ways to achieve that include tooling to increase work flow productivity, intuitive and consistent APIs that are easy to remember
and easy to use, especially for non-native english speakers. These are considerations that greatly affect the naming of functions
(which may or may not justify diverging from the STL for example).

Simon