[Development] What kind of airplane we want to build?

Welbourne Edward edward.welbourne at theqtcompany.com
Fri Jan 22 10:38:28 CET 2016

> AFAIK C++11/14 compilers have zero-cost exception, so, is there any
> reason why not start using them in Qt 6.0 ?

Any "zero cost" claim is with respect to some assumed base-point.  ISTR
exceptions require RTTI (run-time type info, as used by dynamic_cast<>),
so I guess this "zero cost" claim takes for granted the cost of RTTI -
which is surely non-trivial.  Qt has its own meta-info so (IIUC) can be
built without RTTI, so building with would be a non-trivial cost as a
pre-requisite of exceptions.

	Eddy.