[Development] What kind of airplane we want to build?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jan 23 01:59:03 CET 2016

On Saturday 23 January 2016 01:44:32 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Marc Mutz wrote:
> > I'm not saying we don't need new API should we replace QThread with
> > std::thead. I'm saying that all the hard, impressive, work is already
> > done. It seems to be mostly a question of API now.
>
> It shall be noted that QThread has backends for both POSIX threads
> (pthreads) and Win32 threads, whereas (last I checked) at least GCC's
> libstdc++ supports only POSIX threads for std::thread, so you have to use a
> pthreads compatibility layer to use std::thread with MinGW.

That's libwinpthread, which exists and is deployed with MinGW. We just happen
not to use it in Qt because we shouldn't use a wrapper if we already have the
code that goes deeper.

There's also nothing stopping MinGW developers from writing the backend for
regular Windows thread support. But until they do, using std::thread means
using a wrapper that abstracts the abstraction layer around that which we have
code for...