[Development] Use of Standard Library containers in Qt source code

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 15:45:58 CEST 2016

> However, everyone else is excluded by it. When my colleagues find long
> functions, lots of nested if()s and for()s, ++foo somewhere in while
loops,
> they find it much harder to reason about the code. Now I do too.
>
> So, by sticking to lots of raw loops, you're actually actively excluding
> other parts of the C++ community from participating. I don't have numbers
> qualify it, but there seems to me to be a much larger community following
> modern C++ practices than following Qt practices on questions like this.

You can't say that using raw loops (vs stl algorithms) is "actively
excluding" any C++ developer.
I would agree to say that simplifying code by using STL makes the code more
readable for developers used to the STL. And that raw loops and nested
controls can be less readable.
But how come a raw loop can be excluding? It should be understandable by
any C++ developer and, I would dare to say, by any C-style programming
language developer.