[Development] Use of Standard Library containers in Qt source code

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 2 18:51:50 CEST 2016

On sábado, 2 de julho de 2016 12:40:53 PDT Stephen Kelly wrote:
> So, by sticking to lots of raw loops, you're actually actively excluding
> other parts of the C++ community from participating. I don't have numbers
> to  qualify it, but there seems to me to be a much larger community
> following modern C++ practices than following Qt practices on questions
> like this.

The converse is also true: by using auxiliary functions to do things where a
simple loop would do, you're excluding a sizeable community that has never
encountered those functions. Especially if those auxiliary types and functions
have different and sometimes bewildering names, different from Qt's.

Like you, I don't have numbers. But I can tell you one thing for sure: that
community that follows non-Qt practices is not here. It would be nice to
attract them, but not at the expense of losing the people we already have and
are familiar with Qt internals.

> I encourage you and everyone else to dive into it.

No, thanks. You will also see me iterating over QChar and char instead of
using those algorithms or even some of Qt's. See QUrlPrivate::parse, my recent
changes to QTzTimeZonePrivate, for examples.