[Development] Use of Standard Library containers in Qt source code

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Jul 4 10:53:05 CEST 2016

On Monday 04 July 2016 10:03:11 Philippe wrote:
> >>Actually, I disagree with that. As someone who has come to appreciate
> >>STL after growing up in the Qt world,
>
> Exact opposite here: I learned STL from its early days, and could never
> become at ease with its namings... and I started to breath with Qt
> containers :)

The value of the STL is not in the containers, it's in the algorithms.

We who use std containers in Qt would be on very thin ice if the Qt containers
would stand an ice-balls chance in hell against the STL containers. But if
using a std::deque in place of a QList<QByteArray> speeds up code by 40%, then
Qt has failed and either needs to fix its containers (impossible w/o abandoning
CoW) or accept STL container use.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470