[Development] QWebEngine - H.264 playback, proprietary codecs.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 13 18:54:43 CEST 2016

Em quarta-feira, 13 de julho de 2016, às 16:08:11 PDT, Steve Schilz escreveu:
> Would it make sense for QWebEngine to support this codec, in order to be
> able to provide ‘out of the box’ (via download at end user’s computer),
> support for h.264 playback in <video> tags?

If we're able to ship a build with no codecs, but for which a user could
download a plugin and just drop-in to their application to enable the feature,
we should do it.

That's exactly what we do for other technologies like:
 * SSL (you need to install OpenSSL)
 * MySQL and Postgres databases (build plugins)

Note that QtMultimedia uses GStreamer as a backend, which already supports
plugins, including proprietary ones. It's just Chromium/Blink that do things
differently.