[Development] Revisiting high-DPI configuration options

Prav pr12og2 at programist.ru
Wed Jul 20 20:03:48 CEST 2016

> Startup.

Approximately how many icons app have to have to see influence on app's startup?

>> Also there was idea in this thread earlier that SVG rendering can be done
>> much faster ... like in old Opera browser. Why Qt company cann't ask Opera
>> to share this part of old Presto engine? They decided to not use Presto
>> nowdays so no loses for them.

> I can't speak for business decisions. But however faster that engine is, it'll
> still be orders of magnitude slower than PNG.

But scaling is a problem.

>> But for people who really want raster images to be aplied ... may be it is
>> possible to add some method to QIcon which will store this specially
>> rastered QPixmap in icon and will render icon with this pixmap if icon size
>> is small. But I am sure most apps will be happy with just SVG rendering.
>> This is such a detailed work ... not sure that many apps creators will
>> decide this work as a high priority.

> As Morten said, Qt does not have a choice: we have to support both SVG and
> raster icons.

Agree. I am about details. If user can only select SVG OR PNG this is one way to support both icon formats.

I was trying to say that combined variant is imaginable and is interesting because can have benefits of both formats.