[Development] [QtMultimedia] Still is supported, active?

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Thu Jul 21 16:41:27 CEST 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016, at 04:05 PM, Prav wrote:
> Agree with you if this field was unchangeable once it was set (nobody
> knows the future exactly ... ).
> But this field is CHANGEBLE! So Fix Version SHOULD NOT BE KNOWN. It is
> how maintainer see planning of it currently.

Looking at my current world of choice: QtQuick (not QML, & not Controls)
currently has - roughly - 385 open bugs. Three maintainers (Shawn &
myself for QtQuick, Gunnar for scenegraph parts) - one of which works on
Qt full time - plus a number of assorted contributors (in and outside
the Qt Company) who all have their own priorities, wants, needs, and
desires.

The very nature of an open source project is that the resources that it
has are unreliable. Outside of the core of people paid to work on it,
there is no predictability about how much effort people are able to put
in, let alone the completely unpredictable nature of software estimates,
which is a widely known problem: I expect you've heard of it before so I
won't go into it. And of the core of people paid to work on it, they
have their priorities set based on a number of different variables:
things they want to work on, things they are paid to work on, feature
work vs bugs (and then: paid customers vs not, etc).

On top of that, many bugs can't be estimated just by looking at the
report. It requires knowledge of the code to find a fix, to understand
possible implications and side-effects, testing, etc. I'm the first
person to tell you that I don't have a clue how long a number of the
bugs filed on QtQuick will take to fix right now, simply because I don't
have an immediate understanding of what the problem actually is.

I've rambled a bit here, but the point that I'm trying to make is: even
if I *wanted* to, I couldn't try plan all 385 of those into something
sensible, even if I was willing to spend all of the time that I spend
looking at code/bugs/reviews on the meta-work that you're proposing
(planning with all of those people) here. And that's just for one small
part of Qt.

Long story short, I don't see that happening. I don't think it's
actually written down or formalised anywhere, but AFAIK, fix version
tends to only be set on bugs that are actually fixed, to indicate which
version the fix is going to land in, or on high priority blockers.

--
  Robin Burchell
  robin at viroteck.net