[Development] Stack Overflow Documentation

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Jul 21 16:54:55 CEST 2016

Op 21/07/2016 om 16:35 schreef Sze Howe Koh:
> On 21 July 2016 at 19:04, Mitch Curtis <mitch.curtis at qt.io> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Stack Overflow Documentation is now in Beta. You can read more about it here:
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/tour/documentation
>>
>> It is much more accessible than our contribution system, so I see a lot of documentation/example contributions going there instead of to Gerrit.
>>
>> I also wonder if we should consider the popularity (i.e upvotes) of the pages there when we decide which examples to create and add to our documentation.
> That makes sense to me. Another similar metric is how often a question
> gets asked at our forum, although this is a bit hard to count.
>

>> I wonder if the licensing is such that the frameworks like Qt can benefit from the content by "upstreaming" it into their own documentation.
> According to your link, Stack Overflow Documentation contributions are
> licensed the same way as regular Stack Overflow, i.e. CC BY-SA 3.0.
> We'll need a legal expert's input to be sure, but from what I
> understand we can't relicense CC BY-SA 3.0 material under GFDL 1.3...
>
> (Perhaps we can ask Stack Overflow for an exception?)
>

>> I'm interested to hear what others think about this.

I still think the removal of the documentation annotation feature that
was on the online documentation a year or two ago is regrettable
mistake. Instead of extending the feature by  making it more
fine-grained, be able to integrate it into documentation viewer. There
was good content there, and it was discouraging for the members of the
community who had been contributing to it to see it just being removed
instead of used.

André