[Development] commas in ctor-init-lists

Jędrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at qt.io
Wed Jun 1 15:49:20 CEST 2016

On Wednesday 01 of June 2016 15:16:01 Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
> > Den 1. jun. 2016 kl. 15.06 skrev Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com>:
> > Funny in the coding style you mention. For operators: "An operator at the
> > end of the line is easy to miss if the editor is too narrow." The exact
> > same could be said for commas at the end of the line.
> Silly point, it's pretty much a given that there is a comma there, it's
> insignificant. But the precise operator makes all the difference.
>
> +1 Marc, who cares if the diff is shorter or easier to read if the _code_ is
> hard to read. And butt-ugly code is hard to read. Code is easiest to read
> if it resembles English , and commas at the beginning of a line just
> doesn't.
>
> Andreas

Yey for coding style fights!

I care about easy to read diffs and not every butt  is ugly :-) These days I'm
probably reading more code then English literature (which is definitely visible
in my mails and commit messages...) and argument about how similar code is to
natural language is a bit odd to me, I'm not aware of any successful
programing language that simulates natural grammar :-) . Btw. How often do you
_read_ commas? My brain automatically skips them... In the end it simply
doesn't matter much.

Cheers,
 Jędrek