[Development] commas in ctor-init-lists

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 3 14:55:09 CEST 2016

On sexta-feira, 3 de junho de 2016 13:05:10 BRT Ulf Hermann wrote:
> On 06/03/2016 01:01 PM, Martin Smith wrote:
> > Because every human being learns from an early age that when forming a
> > list of words separated by commas, each comma is placed immediately after
> > the word. Putting the comma at the start is a deviation from what every
> > human being first learned. No human being on the planet was taught to put
> > a comma at the beginning of a line.
> I think you are a western supremacist

Do you know of any language that even has a space before a comma?

I know French requires a space before any punctuation consisting of more than
one drawing (! ? ; and :  all have two drawings), which means a comma is
excluded from that and is placed right next to the previous word, without
space.

In English, that is so much so that it comes *inside* the closing quote of a
quotation, even if the quotation did not have a comma there.