[Development] Qt 5.7.0 rc packages for testing

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Sat Jun 4 00:40:02 CEST 2016

Hi, just tested 5.7 RC on Ubuntu, looks good. (Also I see Qt Creator
4.01's project view has nicer icons.) But I spotted one problem, problem
for me at least:

When building a vanilla HelloQt widgets test app, I notice that the
chrpath of the app just points to Qt's installation path, e.g.:

chrpath TestApp
TestApp: RPATH=/home/henry/Qt/5.7/gcc_64/lib

(in Qt 5.5 it was:
TestApp: RPATH=/home/henry/Qt/5.5/gcc_64:/home/henry/Qt/5.5/gcc_64/lib
removing the first RPATH entry in 5.7 makes sense, it is almost never used.)

but in Qt 5.6 it was:
TestApp: RPATH=$ORIGIN:/home/henry/Qt/5.6/gcc_64/lib
and that was *really* nice because then, on a deployment PC without Qt
installed, you could place the .so files the app needs like
libQt5Core.so.5 together with the .elf file in the same directory (i.e.
the same type of deployment that are used on Windows).

But in this 5.7RC it's back to pre-5.6 behavior. To get it to work
anyway, I usually add to the .pro file (for deployment):

QMAKE_LFLAGS += -Wl,-rpath,"'\$$ORIGIN'"

But this is not so well documented for average developer I think.
So if this lossage of $ORIGIN in RPATH remains in 5.7, I will miss 5.6 :-(

P.S. Also the platform plugin DLL libqxcb.so has reverted to 5.5
behavior regarding it's RPATH settings, i.e. in Qt 5.5 and 5.7 RC it's

libqxcb.so: RUNPATH=$ORIGIN/../../lib

In Qt 5.6 it was:
libqxcb.so: RUNPATH=$ORIGIN:$ORIGIN/../../lib

Before Qt 5.5 the RPATH settings of the plugin .so files were
immaterial, but starting with 5.5 they matter for loading the .so files
needed by libqxcb.so, like libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 and libQt5DBus.so.5.

On a development PC with Qt installed 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 all work fine
because the .so files are placed correctly, i.e. $ORIGIN/../../lib
points correctly.

But on a deployment PC without Qt installed this is a pain point for 5.5
and 5.7 RC because usually (for a naive developer like me) you place all
the .so files needed next to the .elf file. And to fix good plugin
libQt5DBus.so.5 together with libqxcb.so in the platforms subdirectory
and all was fine and dandy for deployment.

Of course you emulate the installed Qt's directory structure and create
a subdirectory called 'lib' one position above where the .elf file is so
that $ORIGIN/../../lib works, but why can't we continue to get a
libqxcb.so in 5.7 that has a $ORIGIN as well in its RPATH setting?

Rrgrds Henry