[Development] QtWebKit is coming back

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu Jun 9 00:06:37 CEST 2016

Allan,

Thanks for write-up, I'd like to add just a few side notes

08.06.2016, 22:49, "Allan Sandfeld Jensen" <kde at carewolf.com>:
>  I was asked how we used to structure and develop QtWebKit, and how it would
>  relate to the new project. So here some background and my thoughts:
>
>  The way QtWebKit used to be developed was upstream in WebKit, at some point a
>  release was branched and squashed into the qt respository in one big commit,
>  where we also removed all the layout tests which makes up the by far largest
>  part of the webkit repo.
>
>  The last branch of QtWebKit (originally branched for Qt 5.2) had three
>  different repos: WebKit upsteam, a fork of upstream living in gitorious where
>  our 5.2 git branch relative to upstream lived, and which was supposed to be
>  identical to the Qt-repo except supporting layout tests, and finally the
>  QtWebKit module in Qt repo. WebKit's build-system and CI ran on upstream
>  (equivalent to Qt dev), and on the the fork (equivalent to 5.2). Qt's build-
>  system and CI ran only on the Qt repo (basically only git tags).
>
>  Such a structure while workable is obviously not optimal, and even if we did
>  continue with such a 3 way model, it would be ideal if the upstream-fork could
>  be hosted together with the official qt version.
>
>  For an unofficial QtWebKit I would suggest just using an upstream fork on a
>  friendly git host. Being kicked out of upstream WebKit also means it would be
>  the only place of development. This is also how I maintained QtWebKit 2.3
>  which was a backport of modern QtWebKit to Qt4.

If I understood correctly, in this thread Lars has agreed to make it "official",
though it's not clear to me how will it map to existing structure of Qt Project.

>  Such as structure will however
>  become a problem if QtWebKit-NG needs to integrate with Qt build/CI system
>  again, since the repo would be a huge, unnecessary burden to check out, for
>  anyone who needs to just build or test it.

While it's certainly true that full WebKit repo creates more burden, arguably it's
not a showstopper: after repo is initially cloned it does not take a lot of time
and traffic to update it, also problem with large clone size can be mitigated by
limiting clone depth and by using sparse checkout feature of git.

Though I'm not sure if Gerrit will perform well on the full repo.

>  Note, it is not easy to split a WebKit repository and make the layout-tests a
>  submodule due to the sensible WebKit policy of always maintaining and adding
>  tests atomically with each commit that adds features that needs testing or
>  changes test output.
>
>  Best regards
>  `Allan

Regards,