[Development] Qt 5.8 branching & Feature Freeze

Liang Qi cavendish.qi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:44:33 CEST 2016

"Currently we can’t put anything new in, since Coin setup is frozen."

Due to my limited knowledge with coin, I don't understand this.

Coin, the new CI, should not bind with any paticular branch of Qt, but some
options and scripts could.

For the listed new OSes, openSUSE 42.1, Ubuntu 16.04, RHEL 7.2, OS X 10.11,
if qt libs built failed, it should be P1 or P0 in current development
branches, from 5.6. And for autotest failures, most could be blacklisted or
skipped in the first step. The work for adding new untested platforms, need
to be done in 5.6, as lower as possible. Like now, working with dev, then a
fix need to be in 5.6, and a few more merges after that. I don't think it's
smart. tvOS is a different story.

For the integration of qt5.git dev branch was not a priority job before,
because it will not be a blocker of near future releases. After a new 5.x
branch out, it has more priority. And who is/are the integrator is also not
very clear. Perhaps the thing is changing now.

And recently 5.6, 5.6.1, 5.7, 5.7.0, dev, five branches and two releases
together, some critical issues were found in 5.6.1, then needed to be in
5.7.0 too... Not a very good experience, at least for me. Perhaps it's
because lacking of binaries for 5.6 snapshots, then not enough usage and
testing.

Best Regards,
Liang