[Development] QtSingleApplication in Qt proper?

Lars Knoll Lars.Knoll at qt.io
Fri Jun 17 13:44:02 CEST 2016

On 17/06/16 13:36, "Development on behalf of Maurice Kalinowski" <development-bounces+lars.knoll=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io> wrote:

>> +1 from me to add this to QtCore
>[Kalinowski Maurice]
>
>What is the purpose of adding those items to QtCore?
>Is it that it "feels" more stable when it is inside that module, or because you need this feature on a regular basis?
>
>At least personally, I never needed to implement a service, yet see it is useful to have a supported API in case I had to develop on such. But would I want to carry it around with every project I work on? Probably not...
>
>One can also follow previous discussions about bloating Qt Core with items and features that clearly were not meant for 90% of use-cases, still they got added to the module. This causes projects like Qt Lite to arise where you can leave those out again, coming with the cost of manually compiling Qt for your project and potentially losing support.

Yes, the purpose of QtCore is to provide the foundations. The stuff that most apps need. So features that are only useful for 10% of the applications should be in separate modules, unless they are tightly couples to stuff that’s already in Qt Core.

And as Thiago already said, we’ll need to think about restructuring parts of Qt Core for Qt 6 (once we get there…), because it starts feeling a bit like a kitchen sink ;-)

Cheers,
Lars