[Development] QtSingleApplication in Qt proper?

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Mon Jun 20 22:57:38 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 07:59:32AM +0200, Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 16. Juni 2016 00:19:10 CEST Kevin Funk wrote:
> > (snip)
> >
> > Question: Is there an interest in having QtSingleApplication in Qt
> > proper? Say qtbase? We'd love to do the work if there's a chance for
> > it being accepted.
>
> Heya,
>
> Thanks for all the comments, I'll work on introducing
> QtSingleApplication into QtCore, including porting it to QLockFile,
> including porting it away from the QCoreApplication base.

You mean port away from QApplication?

Anyway, I don't quite get it:

- QtSingleApplication is as easily accessible as other "bread and
  butter" parts of Qt via git, hosted by the same entity,

- no other parts of Qt depend on QtSingleApplication nor would
  see any kind of UX/Performance/whatever boost if they did,

- we jump through major hoops and put major effort to have something
  resembling a modular system with independent repos,

- every now and than we have the feeling that Qt Core / Qt Base
  grows too much fat/looks like a dumping ground of nice-to-have
  feeatures/whatever and we are not happy

and still we move stuff *needlessly* to Qt Core?

Why?

Because Qt Solutions "feel unmaintained"?

Wouldn't be the natural solution to maintain QtSingleApplication
*there*?

Andre'