[Development] QtSingleApplication in Qt proper?

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Tue Jun 21 01:17:07 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 02:16:37PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > You mean port away from QApplication?
> >
> > Anyway, I don't quite get it:
> >
> > - QtSingleApplication is as easily accessible as other "bread and
> >   butter" parts of Qt via git, hosted by the same entity,
> >
> > - no other parts of Qt depend on QtSingleApplication nor would
> >   see any kind of UX/Performance/whatever boost if they did,
> >
> > - we jump through major hoops and put major effort to have something
> >   resembling a modular system with independent repos,
> >
> > - every now and than we have the feeling that Qt Core / Qt Base
> >   grows too much fat/looks like a dumping ground of nice-to-have
> >   feeatures/whatever and we are not happy
> >
> > and still we move stuff *needlessly* to Qt Core?
>
> I'd like to see KUniqueApplication deprecated, as it relies on some
> undocumented and fragile QtDBus functionality (namely, connecting to
> the bus before QCoreApplication is created).

That's a reason that I have missed so far, but to be honest, I don't
find it convincing.

There's surely a way on the Qt side to overcome the "undocumented" part
of the issue, and the "fragile ... before QCoreApplication is created"
problem is a bit more generic than DBus-only, and, if taken seriously,
might warrant a more generic solution than "incorporate some code to
appease the worst offender".

What irks me more here is the inconsistent reasoning. I seem to get
messages of "we need to use this super-duper-but-unreadable XYZ
construct to save 42.3 bytes in code size" and "well, you know, that's
just a few hundred lines extra, you won't notice" at the same time
lately.

Andre'