[Development] Revisiting high-DPI configuration options

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Wed Jun 22 10:43:14 CEST 2016

> On 22 Jun 2016, at 10:21, Morten Sorvig <Morten.Sorvig at qt.io> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Jun 2016, at 09:17, Shawn Rutledge <Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io> wrote:

>>> It's not. It's always "DP-1" (it reports the connection, not the monitor).
>>
>> So far that’s a difference between OS X (which reports the monitor’s model name) and Linux (which reports the output name).  If we could get both, on all OSes (which I’m not sure of), maybe we could format it like “SyncMaster on HDMI-1” or some such.
>
> I was unable to find any API for getting the make or model of the monitor.

I’m not worried much about X11; it’s possible to get the whole EDID via xrandr —-props, which presumably either uses xrandr xcb API or reads it from /sys.

What about getting the output connector name on OS X?  If you connect two monitors of the same model, the name won’t be unique there, whereas at least the output name is unique on X11.