[Development] [Qt-creator] [OS X] Dock icon progress widget

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:26:09 CEST 2016

On Wednesday June 22 2016 11:50:04 Marc Mutz wrote:

>It probably makes sense to add a couple of slots to QSystemTrayIcon (is there
>something similar in GUI?).

Except that the tray icon isn't related to the Dock icon on OS X ... It shows up in the menubar and is much too small to add a sensible progressbar to it.

As Kevin said, there's something in Unity that could be used (cf https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/127050), but closer to home you can also find a progressbar via the KNotifications systray icon/menu. At least there's one in KDE4 showing the progress of certain file copy operations. Whether it's useful to have such a display in a GUI element that you have to expose explicitly is a bit of a question; if the application providing the progress info has a progressbar of its own (like Creator) you could just as well expose or switch to that application.

>Qt Creator has an implementation for windows too
>http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/src/plugins/coreplugin/progressmanager/progressmanager_win.cpp

Yeah, but without a proper MSWin dev rig I'm not going to propose anything to provide it via an upstream patch/class ;)

R.