[Development] Scope of source code license files

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:02:03 CEST 2016

<development-bounces+lars.knoll=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of
szehowe.koh at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The GUI in here is just a historical thing. It applies to Qt.
> >

> > Wording should probably should be changed then as times have changed
and Qt is certainly no longer just a GUI toolkit.

> Here's the first batch, targeting the "5.6" branch. If this is OK,
> I'll submit similar patches for the other repos too:
>
>     https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/162394/
>
> Some more questions:
>
> 1) What about http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/LGPL_EXCEPTION.txt
> ? It's currently presented as additional permissions on top of LGPL
> v2.1. I presume LGPL v3.0 should be included too?

I'd like to get an answer to this question.

If the exception doesn't apply to LGPLv3 then people might not be able to
make proprietary applications with Qt. Because without it, the LGPLv3 only
give exception for inline functions of less than 10 lines, meaning that
developers would have to check every Qt header for every release to ensure
there are no 11+ line long inline functions.

Also without the exception, I see no points in using LGPL as I guess there
should be at least one inline/template function breaking the 10 line limit.

https://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/01/13/new-agreement-with-the-kde-free-qt-foundation/
> says that "Qt 5.7 will not be available under LGPLv2.1 anymore" --
> Does that mean LICENSE.LGPLv21 should be removed from the 5.7 branch
> onwards?

I'm wondering if having these license files still in there doesn't
automatically make Qt 5.7 available under LGPLv2.1?
Maybe Dr Till Jaeger has an answer.

> >> Cheers,
> >> Lars
>

> Regards,