[Development] [Releasing] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Mon Jun 27 12:08:29 CEST 2016

Deleting the package was an error that is fixed as soon as possible. It is not part of the process to do so.

> I'm not disputing that a process for quick fix releases should be made, but
> the time to do this is not when there is a sudden need for it. That's when
> unforeseen mistakes slip through the cracks.

I do agree that the process of making this kind of releases should be better documented and agreed upon by the various stakeholders. Release team has also earlier made similar ones, but mostly related to packaging problems.

> Had the decision to just cherry pick this one fix and apply the usual release
> process for a 5.6.2 had been made, the level of testing could have been
> reduced accordingly to speed up the process and a message put out saying to
> avoid 5.6.1 if you are using QML/Quick. With a 5.6.2 release coming shortly,
> users could have made the informed decision to stick with 5.6.0 until 5.6.2
> was ready. If the installer had the ability to downgrade as well as upgrade,
> this would be even easier.

I think it would be best to have this discussion in the next release team meeting and in addition at QtCon. Changing the version number in Qt modules, re-doing all change files etc, takes time and especially when done so close to release would cause users possibly to miss the other changes in the logs.

We need to have a process that is lightweight enough to make "hotfixes" when necessary. If the process of making for example a security fix is too time consuming, it will cause us not to use it as often as we perhaps should.

Yours,

	Tuukka