[Development] Scalable UIs in QtQuick (take 2)

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:12:46 CET 2016

On Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2016 14:20:45 CET Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:50:22AM +0000, Hausmann Simon wrote:
> > What do you think?
>
> that it's a bit silly that we're having this discussion *yet again*.
> ;) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/6572/focus=6807
>
> i find the point about using arcminutes as a truly device independent
> unit particularly relevant. i thought we discussed this topic
> somewhere in more depth already, but i failed to find anything
> relevant.

Arcminutes are a really good idea. The size of screen elements isn't
really about physical dimensions, it's about size on retina (the actual
biological thing ;) really, or legibility.
Recently I set up a PC with a large screen for entertainment purposes.
Physical DPI detection worked fine for a change - it successfully made
the standard font about four pixels high and barely readable.
If the system had "known" that the typical user to screen distance was
2-3 meters and acted accordingly, that wouldn't have happened.
Of course, you need to know the "typical viewing distance" for a screen,
which is sometimes clear from the kind of platform or screen and
sometimes not. Such practical considerations may unfortunately sink this
idea...