[Development] debug symbols for official Qt releases

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at theqtcompany.com
Fri Mar 4 14:36:05 CET 2016

> Yes, of course we can, but it requires more work to do, so it is better to
> evaluate the size first  :-)

I can tell you right away that debug symbols are insanely large. Just create a debug build of Qt and notice that it's gigabytes in size. Don't try to fit that into our current packages, please. That would just lead to bad compromises. Do create separate packages and include the full debug info there. We can even have separate debug symbols packages per module, to keep the size manageable. I guess not everyone wants to debug QtWebkit, after all, which has 650MB alone here. I guess QtWebengine is even larger, but I haven't built it.

cheers,
Ulf