[Development] Dropping qtserialbus from Qt 5.6 -- it doesn't compile in C++98

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Mar 4 17:46:02 CET 2016

On sexta-feira, 4 de março de 2016 10:03:22 PST Blasche Alexander wrote:
> >Because you also need to reject some older Clang versions. Did you add the
> >check for them too?
>
> clang 3.4 is rejected by requires(c++11) already.

It shouldn't be. Clang 3.4 is C++11-feature-complete.

I was thinking of Clang 3.1 or thereabouts and it shouldn't be rejected
either. Think of XCode 5.0 that some people might be still using.

> Effort and speed. The compile test should not delay the 5.6.0 release and
> such a test would take much more time. After all we would have to go
> through the entire code base and identify all C++11 features we are using.
> That's bound to have the same gaps too.

I already gave you a list. It might not be complete, but I think it is.

More importantly, if you had used the list, it would catch issues that aren't
being caught right now with the incomplete version-based check.

> I want to emphasize qtserialbus is not the first module to do such a
> compiler based rejection pattern. For 5.6.0 this is good enough.

It shouldn't be. We've never had that. Adding that thing to an LTS release
before we know how things work...

> Nevertheless I filed https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-51655 and we
> might have a better solution for 5.6.1.

Thanks.