[Development] Is DirectFB dead?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Mar 16 07:09:07 CET 2016

DirectFB.org is down and has been down since at August 1, 2015. The last
commit on the GitHub mirror is actually from 2014. Our last non-buildsystem
change there prior to my compile fix is from September 2015.

I'd like to turn off the automatic detection in the Unix configure for Qt 5.6.
This will solve the problem of the failure to compile (with a hammer).

Holger: do you know any more details about the project? Is it dead? Is there
an active fork of it anywhere? Even archives of past releases?

If there's no action to revive the project, we should declare it deprecated in
Qt 5.7, with the note that we aren't testing at all, not even to see if it
compiles, and later remove in Qt 5.8.

See: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DirectFB-Is-It-Gone
https://plus.google.com/+ThomasPetazzoni/posts/ZMGW8w1yBfN
Wikipedia too