[Development] Qt Coding Guidelines

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Mar 17 12:29:46 CET 2016

Op 17/03/2016 om 11:24 schreef Mathias Hasselmann:

> Am 17.03.2016 um 10:01 schrieb Sorvig Morten:
>> How about treating the coding guidelines as \internal documentation?
>> We could then at some point build and publish it together with the
>> rest of the \internal's. (suitably separated from the public user
>> documentation)
>
> Actually having the Qt code style as public document proved to be
> extremely useful in the past to quickly shutdown this inevitable and
> highly annoying bike shed discussion about code style that happens at
> the start of every other project. Also in the future I'd like to say:
>
> "We do a Qt based project and for consistency I propose to follow the
> Qt code style: It's a good and proven style guide. Just read it
> http://wiki.qt.io/Coding_Conventions and then focus on real problems."
I actually prefer to just delegate the actual formatting style to clang
format now and apply that automagically. Perhaps it is not perfect in
everyones eyes, but it is better that having differences all over the
place or wasting time on discussing tabs, spaces or the location of * or
&. But that's layout mostly, and there is a lot more to say than that
(naming conventions, patterns to use or avoid, etc.) You still have to
decide on what format to use, but the default is fine by me. So in any
style guide, I'd probably not waste any more time on the formatting
aspects any more, and just refer to something like "we use clang format
with the LLVM style" or something like that.

André